Thursday, May 19, 2011

The accent gives it away.

I was in a conversation with a lovely, friendly guy in the Apple store nearby today and the inevitable question/statement was posed.  So, you're from the UK says Apple guy.  Yes I reply although some of my Britishness has already been knocked off me in these short 9 months.  I think I already sound a little Aussie in the way I talk, especially to other Australians.  I think you just get on better if you talk like them.  I don't mean that I suddenly sound like I am from the outback but I do use the words that they use.  For example:
  • I will greet people with "Hey, how you going?" 
  • I will often refer to something as 'Awesome'
  • "no worries" is a staple
  • That unmistakable questioning tone when finishing a sentence.
It's just something I do without much thought and I do find myself being more direct in my approach to life which is quite refreshing.

So, back to the Apple Guy.  Our conversation took it's usual course.  How long have I been in Oz, why did I come, where in the UK am I from, how do I like Australia and I predictably asked him had he been to the UK, which part (always London!) etc, etc.  It often comes out that I was born in Perth as that was quite a big factor in the ease of our path to Australia.  So he says, "oh, so you're Australian then".  It took me back a little.

It's true really.  I was born in Australia.  I live in Australia.  But I see myself as British.  I speak like them, grew up with them and it is the most familiar place in the world for me still.  I wonder if I will feel Australian at some point.  It was an interesting point from this Apple guy and has made me ponder a little really.  I have no answers but food for thought.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy in Perth in February.  When it came out in conversation that I was born in Perth he said that I had instantly gone up in his estimations and indicated with his hand raising from the floor to the ceiling.  I said "What's that all about?!?!" and we laughed etc but there is this deep rooted patriotism here.  No comment either way really, just an observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment