Thursday, April 21, 2011

Home Decor Hop Day 3

Welcome to the last day of the Home Decor Blog Hop!  I am Vicki and if you hopped here from Angelica (http://handmadebyangelica.com/)  then you are in the right place - if you just happen to hop here and would like to join in on the fun then you can start with Faith at http://faithfulecreations.wordpress.com/!  Thanks for hopping by, I hope you enjoy the hop, the projects and find a little inspiration to do something new and exciting in your own home!  I will be giving away blog candy on Monday (see below - Day 1).  Your next stop is listed at the bottom of this post :)
Vicki

So My Day 3 Project was the result of my sitting at my desk most of  Day 2 wishing I had a calendar to refer to and a project idea for day 3 :)  Well, after debating where I would find a calendar that I could just pin up on top of my desk I decided to make one myself!  Here it is....

Its not a huge, elaborate, complicated project - but a pretty useful one!  I knew I wanted to see two months at a time so I used a blank calendar template in microsoft publisher and arranged two months on one page.  Then I imported two of my favorite digi images and printed it out on white cardstock.  I colored in the images with my copics, wrote in the things I needed to remember and in less than an hour, I had a calendar that suited my needs, I like to look at and didnt have to leave my apartment, spend a dime on gas or supplies, gave me a post for day 3 and had fun creating!   I'm thinking when May is over I will cut out the digi images so they won't go to waste and use them on a card or scrapbook page :)

In case you missed it yesterday.....
My Day 2 project is not one that I just whipped up over night - It is one that I already have had done but couldnt waste the opportunity to share because it is one my favorites.  Its a TV stand that I designed around the baskets.  My kids are forever not picking up after themselves (imagine that! lol), leaving video games and controllers, dvd etc all over the floor so i thought putting the stuff all in baskets that they could just pull out as they needed would save me some time and stress :)  So here it is....




So first I bought the baskets, then I drew the tv stand (which I had someone else build for me to my dimmensions).  Then I stained the entire thing and stenciled stars on either end and the saying in the middle.  A coat of poly, thow the kids 'junk' in the baskets and in the tv they go... It serves my primitive taste, holds my big tv with a little room for a primitive display and when the kids need something, they just pull out a basket!!

In case you missed it yesterday here are my Day 1 Projects!
My 1st project is a stamped and colored framed print.  My 1st Project is also going to be my BLOG CANDY!  So leave me a comment and become a follower and this can be all yours! :)
This fun project can either stand up or be hung up :)  I started with an unfinished wooden frame that I got at Michaels.  I painted the frame with black paint.  When the paint was dry i sanded down both the outside and inside edges to give it that old, distressed look and then used a spray sealer.  On the inside I took a 5x7" piece of ivory cardstock and added some tea dye Ranger distress ink in a circular motion and then a touch of walnut.  I stamped the sentiment on a piece of cardstock 3x2" using Adirondack black ink and applied the distress inks as before.  I then used a piece of striped, distressed looking backround paper our of my scrap bin (about 3"x4 1/4").  I glued the backround paper on the top and the sentiment in the middle.  I then sewed on two wooden buttons in the corners (1 star and 1 heart).  The bear and honey pots are from Stampin' Up and I colored them with copics and popped it in the frame!  The frame came with a peg to put in the back for standing up but i also added a picture hanger in the back so it could also be hung.

My 2nd project was to transform a plain milk can that I had picked up at an antique shop near home.
This was a simple but effective transformation.  I cut a star on my cricut (you could use any shape you wanted) and then use the negative space as a stencil to paint the star on the front.  I then tore a strip of homespun fabric (the entire length of the fabric) to make the bow.  Lastly, some sunflowers from Michaels and wah lah! from plain to country in less than half an hour!

Well, anyone who knows me knows that my country, primitive dolls are an important part of my home decor.  In the spirit of the holiday weekend here is a bunny doll that I just love!
It would be hard to post sewing instructions on a blog so I chose to go with a doll that although I made I did not design myself so that I can direct you to threadbareprimitives.com for the pattern. 
This doll was handmade from scratch and has been treated with a mixture of coffee, vanilla and cinnamon and then baked in the oven so not only does it have that 'older country' look but it smells good too!

Now that you have seen all of my projects let me show you how they all look together!!!  And now you all know what my house looks like!  Lots and lots of country, primitive stages such as this one :)  I hope you all enjoy the hop as much as I have - with this hop I was able to share a big piece of who I am!

You're next stop!!!!!
Happy Hopping and Happy Easter!
Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment