Sunday, February 6, 2011

So New Years Resolutions Aren't For You? How To Focus On Your Goals

New Years Resolutions Not For You?

Do you have a New Years Resolution? We are in February and some are doing well in keeping to their targets. But New Years Resolutions are not for every one. If New Years Resolutions do little for you then maybe picking three themes to improve for the year 2011 would be more beneficial. Coming up with themes is about using key words  as the main focus of your overall goals for the year. For example last year I often found myself rushing to complete the planning stages of a few sporting projects I was involved in. 

Although, I was under some considerate pressure I also attribute it to my lack of patience at times. Perhaps if I had anticipated deadlines approaching much better I would not have put unnecessary pressure on myself. By worrying I was sometimes guilty of not asking for help when it was available to me. I am surrounded by colleagues who are professional and very supportive. Looking back there were occasions where assistance was offered and I completely missed it. I get like this when I am in the zone so to speak.  

So this year I have not set any personal New Years Resolutions. I usually don't anyway to be honest with you. Instead I reflect on the year that has just passed and think about how I could do better the next year. The three themes I have chosen for myself in 2011 are Patience, Pro-activity and Sharing.

My Patience Needs To Improve - This first theme is a key one for me because having patience allows you to think things through clearly. It can also reduce the number of mistakes you make.

My Pro-activity Should Become Automatic  - I have to say my pro-activity was good when it comes to establishing solutions during projects. However, in relation to being aware of nearing deadlines I could do much much better by dealing with the most pressing tasks first before they actually become pressing tasks. This could provide me with significant time needed on other duties and minimise the pressure I put on myself.

I Should Share My Challenges - Sharing is a big one for me. When I talk about sharing I am referring to sharing your thoughts with colleagues and asking for ideas. After all we all have one common aim that we share. So I need to share more and be more open to a helping hand when it is offered.

Remember that focusing on three themes can relate to any aspect of your life.  Now the way I have outlined the three themes may give the impression that you must choose aspects which have been weaknesses. These are in fact things I personally want to do better in. You may on the other hand want to concentrate on themes that you did quite well in. As long as they are themes that will contribute to your overall objectives for the year it should not matter too much. The purpose of the themes is to have them as buzzing words to refer to throughout the year.


So what would be your three themes for 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment